Thursday, February 24, 2011

From the Pro

Hello all,

 Since I last posted I tried the “lying” to my daughter about the fish, but she got freaked out and wouldn’t flush the toilet when she went potty because “ats groooss”.  So I sat her down and had a stern but loving talk with her and it has been better. Hopefully it will last.  As I promised I did the interview with the psychologist, John Dittmar, who has his masters in education, is a licensed therapist, and is a PhD Candidate.
Here is what I got…

  1. What is your take on a child in the potty training phase of life?
    Dittmar:    This period of life for a child is a dilemma because they are trying to find their independence and defining themselves as separate from their parents.  Independence comes from competence, so to complete this it requires dependence.

  1. What is your advice to a parent and the child while potty training?
    Dittmar:  Don’t wait too long…a lot of people say “they will do it on their own”, however a parent should   provide encouragement for the child and at least get them acquainted with the idea.  Also, praise the child when they do use the potty.  Let the child feel like they have a sense of control, but intervene if it is taking too long to begin the potty training process.

  1. What age should a child start the process?
    Dittmar:  By the end of the 2nd year a child should be engaged in potty training.

  1. How should a parent handle an accident after the process is well on its way?
     Dittmar:     -Encourage positive attention
           -Make the child be independent (cleaning his/herself off and changing their own clothes), by doing this it sends a message of less pleasurable attention because they have to clean up after themselves.  Let them know that if they need help you will assist, but don’t do it for them.  When it is all said and done, make sure to give the child positive attention.
           -Don’t give negative attention when accidents happen, because it reinforces the idea that some attention is better than none.

PATEINCE IS THE KEY, REMEMBER ONE DAY IT WILL ALL BE OVER J

I hope you enjoyed the advice and will check out my next blog on March 11th when we will touch base on the infamous temper tantrums.

Alisha O.

6 comments:

  1. Very enjoyable and once again good information to share. It's good to hear the "professionals" input without going to the actual professional if you know what I mean.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ali, I thought the advice without the price would be helpful. I'm glad you enjoyed it and i hope it helped.
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like the way you put that...the advice without the price...Yes it did help...my daughter likes to go after I take her off ...on my floor....always great...good job

    Ali

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alisha, there's some really great info here. I thought answer 4 was particularly helpful to readers. I love that you went out and conducted an interview. I think interviews make great blog posts. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks Tamara, I really enjoyed doing the interview and writing the blog. I hope it helps people.
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisha,
    I like that you did an interview. For some reason hearing a professionals point of view makes people feel more confident. A sticker chart worked well for my sister's kids. Good luck with the potty training.
    Samantha Cribbs

    ReplyDelete