Wednesday, April 6, 2011




Benefits of Breastfeeding





As a mother we are given the ability to produce milk for our child and it is ultimately our own decision to decide to do so. Breastfeeding is not for everyone and is a learned skill that takes a lot of time and effort. It can be enjoyable for both mother and child. Breastfeeding is one of the most beneficial actions a mother can do for her child and for herself.



Breast milk remains the one and only natural and complete nutrition for infants. Formula does provide some of the same benefits, but no matter how many vitamins, minerals, and supplements are added it will never provide all that breast milk does. The mothers breast milk is especially made for the infant and provides just the right amount of minerals, nutrients and antibodies. It is the perfect nutrition that only a mother can provide.



These are only a few of the benefits that a baby receives from breast milk.

  • Less likely to have ear infections, allergies, asthma, and juvenile diabetes.

  • Enhances baby’s brain growth.

  • Easier for baby to digest.

  • Reduced risk of SIDS.

  • Less risk of childhood obesity.

  • Reduced risk of chronic constipation or colic.

  • Decreased risk of tooth decay.

  • Special bonding and emotional relationship with mom.

  • Recover quickly from illness.


There are also many benefits that breastfeeding provides for a mother.

  • 50% less likely to get pre-menopausal breast cancer.

  • Lower risk for ovarian cancer and osteoporosis.

  • Helps to shrink uterus back to original size.

  • Helps to shed pregnancy weight at a healthy pace.

  • It’s free and convenient.



Breastfeeding makes mom feel relaxed due to endorphin hormones produced while nursing. It gives mom a good excuse to sit down and have quiet time with her baby. The bond between mom and baby is much more intense when nursing. It is a wonderful feeling knowing that you are giving your child something that is produced from your own body and it’s giving them the best start in life.





There are also many other good reasons to chose to breastfeed. To find more information about breastfeeding visit www.womenshealth.gov



Melissa K





Sources:

Murkoff, Heidi, and Sharon Mazel. What to Expect When You’re Expecting. New York:Workman,2008.Print








13 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    Great topic! I was a breatfeeder and words can't describe the bonding that takes place when you nurse your baby! I like that you put advantages for both mom and baby!
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good information! I think it's SO important for a new mother to at least TRY breastfeeding. I was only able to for the first month and after that I pumped. I wish I could have breastfed a little longer but the pain was too much. I think breastfeeding is the greatest gift a mother can give to her new baby.

    Assunta Adinolfi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    I truly enjoyed your blog. I breastfeed my daughter until she was 10 mths of age and would have vontinued if I did not become ill and lost my milk supply.
    Thanks for the great blog it had wonderful and educational information in it
    Christina Chinchock

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all for your comments.

    Melissa K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Excellent post. You made so many good points on breastfeeding. I planned on breastfeeding but I didn't get to with my first child but if I have another child I do plan on doing so.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,
    Good information. I always said that when I have kids I don't want to breast feed, but knowing how beneficial it is may change my mind. Thanks for the info.
    Samantha

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa,

    Wonderful blog! Breast feeding is a wonderful experience. I believe that every Mom should try it at least for the first few weeks so that baby gets immunities from her.
    I like how you mentioned that it helps both baby as well as Mom. What more can you ask for?
    It is so convenient too!
    Again, you have done a wonderful job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa,
    This blog makes people that always say they never want to breast feed want to breast feed. I loved how you put the benefits for the baby and the mother. The images also add a nice touch to the blog. Great job!

    Melissa Stickney

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa,

    There is a lot of good information here and I am sure that breast feeding is the best thing for mom and child,ideally. It doesn't always work if the mom has any type of infection that can also be given to the infant through breast feeding.

    Ruth Hall

    ReplyDelete
  10. Melissa,

    I agree that breast feeding is the best thing a mother can do for their child. It is something I plan to do when I have children. You have a lot of good information that will be helpful to someone struggling on deciding wether to breast feed or not.

    Cassie Gilkey

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad that this blog was helpful. I appreciate all the positive feedback.

    Melissa K

    ReplyDelete
  12. Melissa,

    I really enjoyed reading your blog. You gave very helpful information for mothers and mothers to be. I really enjoyed learning about all the breast feeding benefits there are for both the child and mother to experience. I don't plan on having a baby anytime soon, but when I do this is something I would like to experience. Thanks so much!

    Jennifer Samios

    ReplyDelete
  13. Melissa,

    I totally feel where you are coming from but as a working mother and a smoker, I didn't breastfeed. I started smoking after I had my daughter's again and since I smoked it wasn't healthy to breastfeed. You share a lot of good information here. THanks.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete