Friday, March 18, 2011

Children and Values

Like most parents I want my children to grow-up to be good people. They don’t grow-up to be nice just because we want them to, they have to be taught. It is easier to teach good values to children at a young age. I feel it is the parent’s responsibility to instill these in their children. I think that teachers and other family members also play a role in teaching them as well. Children learn and observe a lot from their environment and we have to teach them what is right and wrong. Here are a few values I feel should be taught to every child.


Honesty
When children are young they always speak the truth and don’t know you can hide the truth. As they get older they are influenced by peers, adults and fears. It is very important for parents to make the child understand that speaking the truth is always better and that’s how you build trust.


Love
Children need to be taught to give love that is unconditional. Learning to forgive and forget and love someone despite their faults will help them to be a much happier adult.


Manners
Good manners are important to have. Children need to be polite by saying “Please” and “Thank you” and apologizing when they do something wrong.


Respect
Children learn to respect parents, teachers, rules and laws. It’s important that children learn that everyone has their own opinion and their own likes and dislikes.


Responsibility
Children can be taught to have responsibility by giving them chores to be done on a daily basis and also taking responsibility for their actions. This teaches a child to value things that are done for them and to be held accountable for their behavior.

Sharing
Children need to be around other children so that they learn to be caring and share. Learning to share helps children mature and may eliminate selfishness even when they are an only child. I feel these are some of the most important values a child can be taught.


These values help shape them into a good, kind person. Most children learn best by watching and imitating others and if the parents set a good example for their child then these values will be easier for the child to learn. As I always tell my children, it’s important to treat others the way you would like to be treated.


For more information on teaching values visit: www.parents.com/kids/responsibility/values/



Melissa K

10 comments:

  1. Melissa,
    Nice job with this blog. I love to read things where parents share similar values as myself. I feel confident in saying that parents are the best educators for children. Good job.
    Tina Dull

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tina,
    Thank you.
    I agree we are the best influence on our children. I just wish more children had the right influences and were taught these values.
    Melissa K

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,
    This is a really good topic to talk about. Children do need to learn values and ethics, and I agree, its best to start young.

    I thought you had some good information that you put in your post. Did you use a resource? I saw you put a website, but did you use that or is that just for more information?

    I think you could have expanded a little more on the some of the values. If you researched more, you may have been able to find some more information to add to some of the values. You could of also added an example or an experience you had with your child where you tried to instill one of those values.

    Great job. Thanks for the information,
    Kristen Mummert

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mellisa,

    Great Job! I agree that is important to teach children values at a young age.

    Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  5. The website is for more information on how you can teach your children values. I agree I should have researched more and included more information. Maybe I could do another blog expanding on this topic.Thank you Meghan and Kristen for the comments.
    Melissa K

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa,
    I agree that these are important values to teach children. They are so influential at a young age that parents need to be aware of their actions at all times. Nice job.
    Samantha Cribbs

    ReplyDelete
  7. Melissa,

    Thanks for sharing your input on values and what you think is important to teach children. Always nice to hear other's points of view.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  8. Melissa, I agree with you as well. In fact, I think few people would disagree. I would have loved to see some ideas you have or personal experiences showing how you taught these values to your children or how you would recommend other parents consider teaching their children. Thanks for the post.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Melissa,
    I agree that children need to learn proper values to become a good person. Not everyone is a good person because they want to. At times it is necessary to teach them the skills so that they can be better people as they grow up.
    Eric Cogovan

    ReplyDelete