Friday, March 11, 2011

Terrible Two's or Terrible Toddlers?

Before I became a mom no one ever warned me that the terrible two’s went all the way through toddler hood. Just last week I took my 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son shopping for my sister’s baby shower. As I tried to pick through the adorable little Carter’s outfits, my children ran wildly through Bon-Ton destroying everything in their paths. I flashbacked to 3 years and 7 months before, an incident that I can recall like it was yesterday…I was standing in Wal-mart, my hand on my pregnant belly. I was watching a mother try to calm her screaming son, bribing him with toys and trying to negotiate with him to behave. I thought to myself “tell him to knock it off, you’re the parent…my baby will never act like that.”  Boy was I wrong!!! As I tried to check out with a few purchases, my son was in one arm flinging himself violently while my daughter was on the floor bawling about a toy that she wanted that I said she couldn’t have.  I checked out as quickly as possible and had to literally drag both kids out of the store kicking and screaming. Nerves frazzled and frustrated we went home and didn’t finish our errands, the day was a blotch.

This was not the first incident, nor will it be the last. After my very embarrassing trip that day I began looking to see what other moms do in that situation and I found some helpful tips. I went to www.parenting.com, a magazine that I subscribe to, and found that I’m not alone. Most, if not all, parents have gone through this and have shared what they do to keep their hellasious heathens in check while in public.


Suzanne Schlosberg of parenting.com stated “The truth is, toddlers and preschoolers are supposed to be rebellious. Saying no, testing limits, and tearing through the house like Tasmanian devils is their job. It’s part of how they learn about themselves and their place in the world. The good news: Most of their naughty behavior is stuff they’ll outgrow. While your discipline efforts now may seem in vain, you’re teaching your child important lessons for the future.”

Noel Janis-Norton, the director of the Calmer, Easier, Happier Parenting Program states that “A child is extremely impulsive, and wants what he wants.” When a child misbehaves and won’t take a time out, or has too many time outs in a day they can become desensitized to them, and will no longer be effective. “He may just need a break-let him look at books or play with a toy in his room until he’s calmed down enough for you to at least talk to him”.

I compiled the advice and narrowed it down to this:

• Plot your course, wherever you may be going know what you need, get in and get out.

• Give your child a special treat, like a snack, that they only get when you go to the store. When they get this “treat” they like to go there because they get something too.

• Discuss ahead of time that getting out of the cart is not allowed, and if going to a toy store let the child know that they are not getting anything or they may get one thing if they behave.

• Make a game to play. “I spy”, “Raise your hand if…”, or give the child a magazine and tell them to look for something specific (like the Waldo books).

• The Radio Flyer wagon is a good investment, they may be big and a little hard to maneuver but the kids can play and see everything around them, rather than being cooped up in a stroller.

• Leave the house when the child is tired and ready for a nap. When you get to your destination leave the child sleeping and transfer them into a reclining stroller.

• If your destination has a play area, let the child play for a bit and burn off some energy. Then put them in the stroller with a snack and juice box so they have some chill time.

• Sometimes when your child is acting out it is easier to just take a deep breath, prepare yourself for the ugly glares that are bound to be shot your way, and let the child throw the tantrum. Then when you have left or the child is calmed down, very calmly explain that their behavior was unacceptable and in the end they still did not get what they wanted.

For more tips, advice, and stories from other parents go to www.parenting.com

In my next blog, which will be posted on March 25, I will have another interview with child psychiatrist John Dittmar to find out his take on tantrums and acceptable punishments.

Alisha O.

11 comments:

  1. Alisha,
    I enjoyed reading this blog because it is so universally consistant with young children. I liked that you gave several ideas to help curve the tantrum before it actually starts. All kids go through this starting around 18 to 24 months. Thats when they have this self centered ego. Great job.

    Donald Findley

    ReplyDelete
  2. Donald,
    Thank you for your feedback. I agree that it is universal consistency. My daughter started around 18 months like you said, and is still going on. In my next blog, I want to touch on how when you are in public and they throw the tantrum because they think they can get away with it because people are around and they won't get in trouble. I have been using some of the techniques I found and they are working pretty well, and I will post those on my next blog.
    Thanks again,
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alisha,
    I enjoyed your blog. I have a 9 month old son and I know I will be dealiNg with this one day.I will use some of your helpful tips.
    Melissa K

    ReplyDelete
  4. Alisha,

    I totally understand where your coming from, I always used to see kids throwing fits in stores and thought the same exact thing, like get your kid under control, it's really not that easy. My 15 month old doesn't listen at all, only to her dad. I can't control her all I can do is keep her out of harm's way. good topic.

    Alison

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alison

    I enjoyed reading your blog and I can relate to some of your experiences with your children. Some grocery stores have a playroom now did you notice,like Giant Eagle? I have seen a few of those toy trucks or fire engines that are designed as shopping carts. The children when they are in those seem to forget they are in a store and so enjoy the ride.
    Ruth Hall

    ReplyDelete
  6. Alisha,
    Nice job with this blog. I really enjoyed reading it. Although my children are older now, reading this blog brought back those memories of shopping with toddlers. My youngest son loved to play hide and seek in the racks of clothes. I can't tell you how many times I about had a heart attack because I could not find him. I soon learned to leave him with a sitter, usually my mother.
    Tina Dull

    ReplyDelete
  7. Alisha,
    This is some great advice. I don't have kids of my own, but I have two nieces who are both under the age of 4. I know they many tantrums, even when we are not at a store.
    This is some good information to know when you do need to go out though. A definite plan of action is best. Someone told me that a child throws a tantrum when his/her routine is changed or something is not the same. This is something else to think about when your child throw a tantrum, could there be another reason behind the crying? Thanks for the post, great information that I think will help many new moms!
    Thanks,
    Kristen Mummert

    ReplyDelete
  8. Alisha,
    This blog hit very close to home for me. I have a 18 month old daughter who is going through "I hate the car seat and the shopping cart" stage. I had to go to the grocery store to pick up 3 things. The entire time I was shopping, she screamed at the top of her lungs the entire way through the store. Three strangers asked if she was ok, one asked if she could have candy. it was horrible! I am excited to read your next blog and to get helpful tips. I am glad that my daughter is not the only one doing this, it makes you feel very tiny!
    Christina C

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alisha, I think the comments here say it all, but I suppose I'll add to them. I thought this post was excellent. You include some really honest personal stories that connect us immediately, and then you go to the experts to help not only you but also to help the readers who can relate to your situation. And these ideas are excellent. I would love to hear more about if you try them or if someone else in the class tries them. I wonder what works and what doesn't, although that is usually specific to each child. Very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you all for your comments. I had alot of fun writing this blog, because it gave me ideas to try and I read alot of stories about mothers just like me. I'm glad that it has helped other moms as well, either by giving some advice or letting you know that you're not alone! There are a few tips that I have been using that the psychiatrist told me, and they are actually working very well, and I will be sharing that information in my next blog.
    Thanks again!
    Alisha O.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Alisha,
    All parents go through this. I've heard the screaming from across the store a million times. I think another important thing for parents to do, as hard as it may be, is to stay calm and show the child that no matter how big of a fit they throw they are not going to cause you to throw a fit along with them. Good job on this post and good luck with future tantrums.
    Samantha Cribbs

    ReplyDelete